Wednesday 1 June 2011

Meaty Matters

When I first heard about the show "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader" I laughed.  I honestly couldn't believe that there were that many kids younger than me that knew more than me about so many different topics.  After watching the show a time or two, I was amazed by just how much information and knowledge some of those children have.  If you still don't believe the "smartness" of young children, I feel like this video will change your mind.  
As I was searching around youtube, I came across this video and I cannot begin to express how impressed I am with this young man.  He takes the phrase "young rancher" to the next level.  This young man shows a passion and an interest for what his family does, and when you hear it coming from a young boy, you know that the family is hard working and honest.  I cannot think of any other occupation where a child plays such a big role in their parent's work.  Farming is a family ordeal, and I think that this video pretty much sums that up beautifully.
If you are not from a farm, and you watch this video, I am sure that you will finish it, feeling like you have known all about farms your entire life.  He covers the life cycle of the cow, he talks about cleaning pens, feeding, he explains traceability! He covers everything!
Because the video is made in Scotland, there are a few things that differ from the Canadian industry, such as the traceability, the part where he is talking about the passports.  I will cover everything you need to know about traceability tomorrow in the "All Things Agriculture" page, I promise that once I am done with you, you may even want to wear your own eartag!

Sorry for the long delay in the posts, working two jobs and playing on a sports team, while living on a farm gets to be a bit of a challenge.  It is a busy time out on our farm as we try to quickly finish up our seeding.  Rain is a good thing out here on the farm, but only once we have all the crops planted do we really want it.  Because of the rain we were put slightly more behind schedule than we already were due to the late snow melt.  But we stay positive, and we appreciate all of the moisture we can get.  My father and grandpa have been putting in late nights, trying to get everything finished.

I look forward to coming home from work at night and being able to see all of my critters.  There is nothing I love more in the world than coming home to cuddle one of my dogs, or to sit on a fence and watch a couple of baby calves chase each other around and play fight while the sun goes down.  

I love it that the sun sets so late now, it gives me an opportunity to go out and check the cows when I get home from work at nine, and still be able to see them all!

SO, now that we have taken a look at that young Scottish boy's farm, here is a quick look at what was happening out at the Sperber Farms this evening!  I took a small tour of the heifer pen to see how the young ladies were all doing.

Lovely, calm evening
Reaching for an evening snack
My three yearling heifers.  Lily is a Simmental cross.  Her mama (Dam) is a tan Charolais Cross cow, and her daddy (Sire) is a big, red and white traditional Simmental bull. Tyra is a purebred Charolais, both of her parents are Charolais, white, just like her.  Lucy is a Red Angus cross.  Her mama is a big tan Charolais cross cow, and her father is a purebred Red Angus bull. 
So there you have it.  I didn't have a lot of time to snap pictures since the sun was already gone from the sky by the time I got home from work, but I hope that you like seeing what few pictures I do have!

Check back tomorrow to learn all about why we put eartags in our cows!

Thanks everyone!

Night night!

Sam

3 comments:

  1. What an awesome video! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya The little kid is so smart, he knows so much!! L also i didnt know tht ppl had different farms in places for each season like that kids family did! Also... I like ur cows! My favourite is Lilly. She hAs the most distinct spots on her face, it mAkes her Recognizable! There adorable. I Thnks it's cool because I'm a city boy and I don't get to see cows all the time, also I have never touched a cow. Do you pet them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure do pet them!! I love my cattle, they are just like pets to me! If you check out my next blog I will post some pictures of me with my three girls! Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete