Thursday 26 May 2011

Technology - The Exponential World We Live In

This past January, I was given the opportunity of a lifetime.  I had the chance to take part in the Five Nation's Beef Alliance Young Ranchers Program down in Denver, Colorado. 

This was both educational and fun! I had the chance to meet with a group of young ranchers from Australlia, Argentina, Mexico, the United States, and Canada, and to discuss many issues affecting the agriculture industry. 

We heard many speakers and got to tour various agricultural destinations down in Denver.  
One of the best parts of the trip, as far as I am concerned was having the chance to meet with Dr. Temple Grandin and to hear her speak about agriculture.  Dr. Grandin spoke about social media, such as blogging, facebook, twitter, youtube, and the many other social media networking sites out there.  She couldn't stress enough how important these sites were for the future generations and the generation that we live in today.  

All too often the media portrays a negative view of the agricultural industry, and as Dr. Grandin mentioned, the only way for us to change this negative view is for us to give our consumers the "real deal" and to show them just how much we love our land, our animals, and feeding the world, it is up to farmers, industry leaders, and young ranchers, such as myself, to show the world the positive and the real story.  

She encouraged each of us young ranchers to get active on the internet, to share our stories and to agvocate (promote agriculture), and that is just what this blog is all about!

I decided to see just how big of an influence the internet really has on the world, so I found a couple of videos that opened my eyes to just how much of an impact the internet really has on people, and just how many users tune in.  

The four videos that I have listed below are all very informative and they make you realize just how much of an influence media has.  Some of the information is overlapped, but each video has points of its own that are very important and helpful! I encourage you to check them all out, trust me, it will be more than worth your time!




The first one is my favorite, because it talks about cattle and how much beef consumption is expected as well as how much technology is used.  I thought that all four of these videos have a great deal of information that you don't really think about until you read it and realize that yes, indeed, our world is being taken over by technology.  Businesses are relying on their computers for sales and marketing.  Agriculutre isn't just a business, it is a way of life.  I think it is important for all of us to reach out and impact the millions of people that tune into youtube and facebook everyday.  We want them to know our story, and to support agriculture in our world.  After all, by 2030 the first video says that China will eat more beef in a day than the US does in a month, so where will all of this beef come from? 

It is so important for youth to be active in agriculture and to get involved and support your local farmers, after all, when they're all gone, who will be here to feed the world?

Have a nice day everyone!
Sam

3 comments:

  1. I've seen a bunch of these videos, but thanks for sharing some new ones with me. I'll check these out. You are right that technology plays a big roll in agriculture, but I think it is for the better. We are so much more efficient now compared to when previous generations were farming.
    www.crystalcattle.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I I really want to start planting more as well, and growing vegetables. This year I have 2 tomatoe plants
    On my deck, and a peppermint plant. Also in my house I have like 8 house plants, I go kinda overboard LOL. I really enjoy nAture
    And planting as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome! I think it is a great way to get involved with agriculture and nature when you're in the city, as well as learning about how to raise healthy plants! The tomato plants are an awesome idea! We have some out on our deck and they always taste the best, I don't know if it is because they are the best, or because we just like them more because they are our own produce! Let me know how the plants work!

    ReplyDelete