Thursday 5 May 2011

Wisdom Week

With so many things happening in the past couple of weeks, I realized almost everything that I did had something to do with wisdom, in some sort of way.  Having just finished my second year of University exams, I really didn't expect to be using just as much wisdom as I had the past couple of weeks.  
Wisdom Week:

Lady sharing a little bit of her wisdom with baby Spice
Foster baby wearing a fur coat of the foster mama's original calf
Brittney and her twins before she had to give one up

  1. Upon return home from school and the big city on the 20th of April I was once again able to spend some time outside with my father, and the cattle.  I was reintroduced to just how wise my father was when a calf on the farm died suddenly.  Usually when a baby calf dies we try and foster a calf from a set of twins onto the cow to prevent the cow who's baby died from drying up.  Unfortunately the only set of twins available at the time were from my cow Brittney.  I wasn't the happiest girl in the world when my dad informed me he was using one of my calves.  Granted, it is much easier on my small cow to raise one, but she's too cute when she has two!  So I accepted the fate of my calf and went out to help my dad.  If you are not familiar with farming and the protocol of fostering a calf it may surprise you when learning the steps that we have to take to foster.  From the minute they are born, cows know the scent of their calves as well as their calve's voice.  In order to foster a calf onto a mother cow we need to make sure that she thinks it is her own baby, or else often times the mother cow will kick the calf when it tries to suck.  So our baby calves have to sport fur coats, crafted by my dad, so that their foster mama will take them.  These fur coats are not your ordinary fur coat, and a sad story is behind them.  When a calf passes away, we cut the fur off of the dead calf, making a little fur coat for the foster calf.  This allows the foster mama to smell the scent of her own calf, allowing the new foster baby to eat.  It is always sad when a calf dies, so we try to help the mama cow out as much as possible.  It takes much wisdom from the farmers to know what to do in so many unique situations. 
  2. On Monday the 27 I started my first day of work at the Ponoka Golf Course.  As a waitress you need to know the menu that you will be serving inside and out, so my wisdom was put to the test as I tried to memorize the complete menu within minutes of being there.  Thankfully the course wasn't open yet and only a few patient customers came for lunch!
  3. And then came the Wisdom teeth.  For any of you that have experienced having your wisdom teeth removed, I am sure that you question, as I do, just why they are called wisdom teeth.  To be quite frank, I feel these "wisdom teeth" are the most useless and annoying teeth in the human body.  Since all four of my wisdom teeth were conveniently impacted in my gums above my other back teeth, the dentist told me they would have to operate.  So my mother drove me to the city on Wednesday the 27th of April where I met my fate.  I remember laying on the bed while a nurse checked my blood pressure and prepared me for the anesthesiologist.  When he did arrive, they attached the iv to my arm, and started to inject a substance that he referred to as the "nighty night" drugs.  I got three words out of my mouth before I was out.  The next thing I knew I was in the out patients room, with an oxygen mask on and five nurses busying themselves around me; as well as four less teeth.  In all honesty, I feel that I used no wisdom when I agreed to have them taken out; who knew that over a week later, I would be sitting here, writing this blog, having not eaten a real meal for 9 days because of all of the small blisters in my mouth, and being 5 pounds lighter.  I guess if you're looking for a natural way to lose weight, get your wisdom teeth out.  I warn you though, it's a painful price to pay.
  4. The National Election Campaign.  As if the week hadn't already been full enough, then came the elections this Monday.  I was somewhat disappointed with all of the parties this year as it seemed that there was not a great deal of discussion about agriculture.  It also seems that more and more the election campaigns and commercials put on TV focus on putting down all the other parties, telling the viewers just what it is that the other parties are doing bad at, and not telling us what they advertising party is going to do for us.  It seems their tactics are to put down all the other parties and they often miss the part where they are supposed to inform us of what they will do for us.  I was expecting that Alberta would come out with strong representation for Conservatives, as it seems this is always the case, they seem to care the most about the West.  Since I am of legal age, I decided I should let my opinion be heard, so I headed to the voting station with my grandparents.  Since I had never voted before I had to bring two pieces of ID with me.  No problem.  I grabbed my driver's license and my passport, or, what I thought was my passport.  Little did I know that my younger sister had also got a pink passport case while I was gone to school.  When the ladies handing out the ballots looked at my passport they stated "It seems you're underage Jessica".  Wow.  I guess getting my wisdom teeth out really did affect my wisdom.  Thankfully the ladies working the booth knew my family and were personally friends with myself so I was allowed to cast my vote! Now all I can do is pray that the Conservative majority government takes a stand and directs and protects our country in a way that will benefit the people in it.  I read a quote on Monday on Facebook that said "If you wear a poppy on Remembrance Day then you should have two minutes in your day to use our right to vote, the freedom that so many people sacrificed their lives for".  This is so true.  We wear a poppy to remember the people that died to bring our country freedom, so shouldn't we show them our appreciation by voting when they died for that freedom.  I also think that giving the NDP's as many seats as they got was a positive.  Because they are new to the position of main opposition, they will have a great deal of expectations to meet in order to stay at the place they are, so I think this may encourage them to promote change and to work hard in the constituencies that they have, some Canadian government progress would be greatly appreciated!  Thoughts??  
  5. Finally, not regarding Canada, but instead the United States, the death of Osama bin Laden.  I have heard many different views on the issue and I still stand unsure of how to feel about his death.  At first I was happy that those thousands of families were getting their revenge.  But then as people started celebrating I read a post by one of my friends and I soon started to question if this really was a wise move for the States.  Her post had said "I take no pleasure in the death of wicked people.  I only want them to turn from their wicked ways so that they can live- Ezekiel 33:11".  This made me think... were the American's using their fullest wisdom when they killed Osama, or were they so caught up in the thought of revenge that they weren't thinking quite as wise as they should have.  I have been reading many viewpoints on the issue, and there are a few things that I don't understand.  They put the body in the ocean before any proof was given to the public, so how can we totally beleive they actually caught him? I just finished reading an article from Indiawest.com.  In this article they say that Al Qaeda is planning a series of retalitory terrorist attacks out of of their lost leader, as well, to demonstrate to the world that they will not be weakened by the absence of a leader.   So you tell me... was it a good idea to kill him, even though we were making some progress in the war on terrorism.  If you want to read the article for yourself the link is http://www.indiawest.com/readmore.aspx?id=3247&sid=1
So there you have it.  My wisdom week.  I look forward to hearing your comments!!

<3 Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment